The inner critic is known as the negative thoughts we have about ourselves. A good way to think of it is, is as a voice attacking you saying that you aren’t worthy, adequate, good enough etc.
Here are my top tips to help you to tame your inner critic.
- What advice would you give to a friend? Would you say to a friend, you are stupid or you never do anything right? Probably not! But we don’t hesitate to say it to ourselves. Treat yourself equally as kind as you would treat your best friend.
- Examine the evidence. Look at evidence of both sides of the argument and this can help you to be more rational and less emotional with your thoughts.
- Consider how bad it could be if your thoughts are true? If you think you are worried about embarrassing yourself by speaking up in a meeting, ask yourself how bad this would actually be? Could you recover ok from it? Will it ruin your week, your month , your life? Of course not. So remind yourself of this.
- Accept your flaws but remind yourself that you can work to become better. No one is perfect!
- How you speak to yourself will fuel your success or prevent you from reaching your full potential. Turn the volume up of the positive chimp and turn the volume down of the negative chimp.
Janette Cardy is a well respected Coach and Trainer in Oxfordshire.
Plus she runs a successful Online Health Fitness and Wellbeing Programme.
£12 per month per household with 7 days FREE.