Firstly, don’t panic! You entered the event as you wanted to do it. This is a fantastic sport and the triathlon community is so friendly. You wont regret doing a triathlon thats for sure!
Here are my top tips to get the most from the sport and to enjoy your first race this season.
- Plan your training. Put the training into your diary and calendar just as you would with a work meeting. Then, its easier to stick to it.
- Not trying to do too much too soon. build up slowly and enjoy the process.
- Aim for consistency. And don’t neglect having rest days.
- Listen to others but don’t take it ALL on board. Runners will have a view, cyclists will have a different one, and then swimmers too. But, this is triathlon. So the training is different. The best advice comes by working with a triathlon coach.
- A coach will make you accountable but also will monitor your training to ensure it has balance, structure and to ensure you don’t over train.
- Don’t neglect your weaker element. If you are a good swimmer but not so good at running, then maybe do one less swim session a week and focus on the run.
- Work on mindset. You can be physically ready to race but if you cant control your nerves then you will ruin your best race plan.
- Nutrition. Address this. In training and in racing. Again, I would seek guidance on this. Some coaches are qualified in this area too.
- Have an open water swim before race day. Get used to swimming in a wetsuit.
- Enjoy the whole process. Be proud of yourself for choosing something that scares you a little.
Janette Cardy is a British Triathlon Coach and also a mindset coach and nutritionist.
Feel free to email for support, guidance or coaching information.