Triathlon is a fantastic all inclusive sport. The people you meet will encourage and support you on your own personal journey.
We have ALL been beginners at some point, so being able to ask questions freely is important.
Here, I share my top tips to get the most from your training and how to take part in your first ever triathlon.
- Choose a local event to enter. Start with a Super Sprint Tri or a Sprint Tri. (Super sprint is 400m swim, 10 km bike, 2.5 km run. Sprint is 750 swim, 20 km bike and 5 km run)
- Dont worry about having all of the kit. A tri suit is a good investment and a wetsuit. But you dont need the latest bike to take part. You just need to know your bike is road worthy and you have a helmet.
- You will need a race belt and its also worth investing in elastic laces so you can get your trainers on quicker.
- If you havent been in open water before, I suggest having a 1:1 session to work on key skills such as sighting, race starts etc.
- Train in all 3 disciplines but build up slowly! Follow a training plan or work with a coach to ensure you are doing the right training and not over training!
- Let the training fit into your life. You are doing this for fun. So, yes occasionally you will end up making sacrifices to get the training in, but dont let it affect your relationships and work life too much. The best training is SMART training.
- As it gets nearer to the race, add in some BRICK sessions. Where you do a bike to run session or swim to bike. So you get used to that feeling from one to the other.
- Ensure you include some Strength and Conditioning into your programme. It will help hugely.
- Take rest days. And enjoy them.
- Think about fuelling for your training. Take drinks and energy bars out on the bike for instance.
If you would like to arrange a 1:1 session with Janette Cardy Fitness or to discuss your training plan, feel free to contact us anytime for an informal chat and a chance for you to ask questions.
When I went to my first event, I knew nothing!! And to be honest, why should you know it all at the very beginning?
This is what I love doing. Sharing and helping others to learn and develop new skills. So, please free to contact us directly.